The Parenting Apart Education Program is offered through UCONN once per month in four locations, Storrs, Brooklyn and Norwich, typically on a Saturday. It is also offered quarterly in Vernon/Manchester. You must call 860-486-1005 and register in order to attend the class.
Family court requires parents to participate in PAEP as they begin the divorce process. This program is a six hour class designed to help divorcing couples to navigate the common issues that arise for parents and children as families change through divorce. Topics include the impact of divorce on children, common issues for children going through divorce, managing communication and decision making together when living separately.
To register and find out when classes are offered in your area, call 860-486-1005.
Fees are $125 for the course per person. Those with a financial hardship may request a fee waiver through the Clerk’s office at Family Relations.
BROOKLYN (139 Wolf Den Road) 9:00am-4:00pm with one hour break for lunch, on Saturday
January 28, February 25, March 25, April 22, May 13, June 10
NORWICH (562 New London Turnpike) 9:00am-4:00pm with one hour break for lunch, on Saturday
January 21, February 25, March 25, April 15, May 13, June 24
STORRS, (843 Bolton Road) 9:00am-4:00pm with one hour break for lunch, on Saturday
January 21, February 18, March 25, April 8, May 6, June 17
VERNON, (24 Hyde Avenue) – Quarterly, TBA
Once you are registered, you will receive an email confirmation of the class with additional information and directions. Please bring the following items to the class:
* Court Order Form This is a carbon copy form with the words “Parenting Education Program — Order, Certificate and Results” printed in the upper left-hand corner. You can obtain this form from your attorney or from any courthouse in the state. Please make sure that the Court Location, Name of Case, and Docket Number are clearly written on the form. If this information is missing or illegible it may result in a delay in processing.
* Money order or Fee Waiver signed by an officer of the court.
- Note: no cash or personal checks can be accepted.
- Please pay via money order or bank check. The fee is $125.00. Please make out the money order to the University of Connecticut or UConn.
- Any waiver must be signed by an officer of the court.
In case of severe/winter weather, Class Cancellations or Rescheduling procedures:
* In case of severe/winter weather, please call our office at 860-486-1005, or 860-486-3692. Please note: if the UConn Storrs or other UConn campuses are closed, our program will be closed. We will reschedule that class, and in some instances will set up make up snow dates in advance.
* If we are closing for snow or any reason, we will make every effort to contact you by phone and/or email to let you know in advance. You can also check with us by calling the office at one of the numbers listed above. Sometimes the University announces a closing later in the day. Please check back with our office throughout the day.
* We rarely cancel for any other reason than snow. However, we do reserve the right to cancel for other unavoidable reasons. We will notify you as soon as possible if we need to cancel or reschedule your class for any reason. Should we have to cancel a class for any reason, we will be glad to provide you with a written letter or email explanation.